Saturday 1 May 2010

Where do I plan?

CAUTION - THIS POST RELATES TO THE CIMA 2010 SYLLABUS, SO IS NO LONGER VALID


Sarah said:

"Just a quick question......you talk about answer planning in your book, I have been practising using scrap paper before writing out my answer, but in the exam, where would you suggest writing it?

I bought your book last November about 2 weeks before my first 3 CIMA exams, P1, P4 & P7. I passed all 3 and am convinced it was thanks to the great advice in your book!

When answer planning for P4 I scribbled my answer plans on the question paper, but you mention in the 'exit strategy' to write 'see answer plan', so was wondering where to put it!"



Put your answer plans in the answer booklet, so you have plenty of space, and so the marker can see them. Markers know that students who plan generally pass, so they are likely to be a bit more generous - a sort of self-fulfilling prophesy, if you think about it. Also, you can then refer the marker to a plan for your last question, if you run out of time.

That said, it does mean that you can't do your answer plans in the reading time, as you're not allowed to write in the answer booklet until the exam starts. However, I recommend spending the reading time analysing the requirements (verbs, topics, marks), deciding on the best way to approach each requirement, and finding any relevant data in the scenarios. This shortens the planning time, and also means that you'll spend more time understanding the question.

No comments:

Post a Comment