Wednesday 16 December 2009

Are the CIMA exams 'too difficult'?

I was just thinking - students often say to me that the CIMA exams are too difficult, and I always ask what they mean. The normal answer I get is a series of complaints about poor pass rates (either personal or general) closely followed by the student's life story (I work hard, have no social life, spend all my time studying...). I always reply by saying "don't worry, it's worth it".

What I mean by this is several things:
- when you qualify, you'll be glad the qualification is difficult as that gives it more status in the marketplace
- I'm a CIMA member, so I don't want the qualification to be any easier to get today than it was when I got it (back last century sometime)
- the CIMA qualification gives you opportunities you didn't expect. I'm a lecturer, an author, a consultant... None of this would have happened if I hadn't become a CIMA member. I didn't plan these things - they just happened

I guess the message is "if it's all getting a bit too much for you, just keep working at it". It's easy to become disillusioned with chasing exam success, but it really is worth it in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment